Not wanting to get discovered by irrelevant people is a valid reason for wanting to make your Instagram account private. This situation is especially relatable if you are posting content about your personal life.
Additionally, getting noticed on the internet is easier than ever nowadays, either for practical reasons or the bad ones. Therefore, keeping your identity secured might be necessary to keep your clear-mindedness.
However, is it the best choice to keep your account away from potential followers who might stick around for a long time? Let’s discuss and find some useful answers.
How Do I Make My Instagram Account Private?
Making your account secured and not observable for people outside of your followers is quite simple. Instagram guides you through this process in the app. Therefore, these steps are both applicable for iOS and Android devices.
Keep in mind that business profiles aren’t able to make their accounts private. If you want to make your business account private, first switch back to a personal account.Instagram Help
We are assuming that you have the official Instagram app installed on your mobile device and a fully functioning account. If you do not, you should get these essentials out of the way before you proceed.
- Launch the official Instagram app on your mobile device and login to your account using your credentials.
- Tap the humanoid figured icon at the lower-right corner of the screen; this will take you to your profile.
- From there, tap the icon with three horizontal lines at the top-right corner to bring the account menu from the right side of the screen.
- You should tap the icon with a gear shape in the lower-right side of the screen to access your general settings. From there, you should tap on the section titled “Privacy and Security.”
- Afterward, tap the “Account Privacy“ section to reach your sensitive Instagram privacy settings.
- In the following screen, you can tap on the slider under the “Private Account” section.
- When the slider turns blue with you tapping on it, that means you have successfully changed your Instagram privacy status.
How to Make Sure Your Instagram Account Is Private?
It can be tricky to be fully aware of your Instagram account’s privacy settings. However, there are some glaring and non-obvious indicators of your profile’s privacy status that you should get accustomed to with time.
- First of all, it is practically impossible to view a private IG account without requesting to follow it if you are doing it for the first time. Either way, the account owner should empower you to do so.
- Additionally, you should know that there is no such thing as an Instagram private profile viewer. The platform does not allow anyone to view hidden accounts without following it. Therefore, it would not be wise to give your passwords and sensitive information to shady third-party accounts that claim to do this. Ill-intended people might hack your account.
- You can check your primary Instagram profile with some other throwaway account to learn if it is viewable you. The profile should be either visible for the public or exclusively to authorized people. If you meet a public Instagram account, you should check the steps above one more time.
Well, this question is almost impossible to answer as the logic for settings-hopping can change for different people. However, we can safely assume that these accounts are struggling with their privacy settings, or they are trying to find a new method for improved security.
Unfortunately, after many years, it is yet not possible to change your privacy settings on the browser version of the network. Therefore, you should make a trusted friend do it for you, or find a temporary device to make your Instagram private.
Did you block someone because you did not want them to browse your posts? After making your account private, this is no longer necessary. You can unblock those accounts to avoid further confusion. Read the detailed steps in our How to Unblock Someone on Instagram (The Easy Way) article.